Programs & Services
Each Friday, in at least two county locations, the Houston Food Bank delivers up to twenty tons of fresh fruits and vegetables to one of nine Jesse Tree Food Fair sites. As the produce is unloaded, medical volunteers set up for Chronic Conditions Management Classes, social service providers set-up displays to encourage individuals and families to enroll for everything from Food Stamps to Voter Registration and hundreds of people come to the fair. At The Jesse Tree we estimate that about 95% of those who come initially come seeking food. Hurricane Ike, the downturn in the economy, rampant unemployment and poverty have taken their toll and people in our county go without food daily.
Those who visit the Food Fairs are often surprised when offered blood pressure screening or a glucose check-up. They are not expecting to learn that The Jesse Tree collaborates with agencies such as Lone Star Legal Foundation who are there to help them complete applications for Food Stamps, Medicare or CHIP; or that The American Heart Association is gathering a group to hear about "heart-healthy living". Eventually, Food Fair goers come to realize that although it's nice to go home with healthy foods to eat, it's even nicer to know that The Jesse Tree is there to help them find what they need.
Everyone needs help at one time or another. Everyone is welcome to come to The Jesse Tree or call for information and assistance. The following is a list of programs and services that will guide individuals and families toward happier, healthier living:
- The Jesse Tree Electronic Case Management System - ETO (Efforts to Outcome) Software by Social Solutions
- The Bilingual Call Center
- Data Collection and Database Management Tools
- Friday Food Fairs
- Senior Food Box and Wellness Program
- Pantry and Enrollment Services
- Cooking Classes for Chronic Conditions
Health Related Programs
- Health Equipment Loan Program (HELP)
- Health and Medical Supplies Distribution Project
- God's Fan Club (Prevention of heat-related illness)
- Prescription Assistance Program — The Lowest-Price Formulary Project
- The Comfort and Joy Project (Warm coats, winter hats, blankets for vulnerable populations)
- Immunization Project
Chronic Conditions Management
- The Stanford Curriculum Project
- Post-disaster module
- Leader Training/Community Training
- Curriculum Development
- The Diabetes Management Project & Classes
- Hypertension, Cardio-Vascular Health, Stress-Management/Mental Health/Substance Abuse, AIDS/HIV, Asthma, COPD, etc.
- Chronic Social Conditions Management
- Curriculum Development
- Poverty, Unemployment, Homelessness, Co-Dependency/Self-Sabotaging Decision Making
- Save Our Sisters Breast Cancer Project
- Champions for Health "Healthy Shop Talk on Prostate Cancer" (video). Click here for a Powerpoint presenation.
Cultural/Health Disparities Projects
- Harsh Reality — Art Exhibit on Homelessness
- Begendings — Art Exhibit on Culture Clash